Friday, March 30, 2012

But he seems smart...

I've had a lot of battles with SIDS in regards to people having inaccurate information and now it seems like I am going to have to battle the same kind of mindset with Chiari. Between the doctors that don't know anything about it and the people who just assume that I can somehow turn the symptoms off and on at will it's very frustrating.

Perhaps this is the most frustrating incidence so far, though...


The odds of one of my children having this are great. We know Iris doesn't have it because she's had a MRI. We don't know about Toby. So then there's Sam...

In telling a friend about my concerns she said, "Oh, I'm sure he's fine. He seems pretty smart."

I thought I had done a pretty good job of educating the people in my life about this matter. Clearly, I failed on at least one level. So, for the record, Chiari does not affect intelligence. It might mess with out memory, our balance, and our ability to hear clearly but it does not affect our intelligence.

Also, what the heck was that supposed to imply-that I don't seem smart? Good grief. What a thing to say to someone. Even if you think it, that's no reason to voice it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment